Project Seafire/Typhoon

Everything Aviation
Martin Page

Project Seafire/Typhoon

Post by Martin Page » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 am

So, bagged me one of these at Flying Legends so while the iron is still hot lets get cracking. Pretty much doing this out of the box as a quick build to refresh the Mojo after the huge Panzer III build.

Didn't take long to get it to this stage but I have left out the cockpit seat as going to do some work sorting the seat straps which should bring a bit more interest to the office.

Added a couple of bits of plastic card to the wing to help with the fit, I had a rather nasty gap.

Time for primer but before this I was digging around in the stash and came across a Tiffie I had started some years back which was so close to primer I couldn't resist, we now have two projects just about ready for paint. Some filling and sanding required as the old build wasn't best but think I have got her sort of ship shape.

Some new decals ordered as the box ones have shown their age and a stencil data sheet.

Work has been really getting in the way of late so a few evenings at the bench have proven quite fruitful.

Trying a new technique here for me but very much in the spirit of the way Terry bleaches his paint work. He posted a very useful tutorial on the Flory Models Forum which has come in handy. Not going into as much detail as Terry on this but a little bleaching work to break up the flat surfaces, looks a bit harsh under the board lamp but the finished effect is a lot more subtle. I will try and get some daylight shots over the weekend.

Chris Walker

Re: Project Seafire/Typhoon

Post by Chris Walker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 pm

What happened to the Hellcat?

Seafire 47 kit has shape issues - rocker covers and radiators come to mind.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:45 am

Ah yes, the Hellcat, another one that's not to far from primer... Will dig it out!

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 am

Got on with some decals last night, next up a little bit of weathering.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 am

Worked on her all afternoon yesterday but at the end of the day doesn't actually look like I have done much but she is on her wheels. This isn't the best model I have ever made but have to say thoroughly enjoying it. Learning all the way and sort of restoring my faith in aircraft modelling. Next I'm back on the Seafire which I intend to experiment with styles further and then as Chris reminded me the Hellcat which is also quite far on with the build, hopefully all this will help improve my building and painting. Going back to the bench today and intend on getting her done, exhausts, guns, all the bits and bobs and then a flatish coat and then the unmasking and final reveal... Hopefully she will sit nicely beside the Spit MkIX.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:15 pm

OK, she's not without fault, some things could have been better but calling this one done. The cannons are wrong as parts missing from the box and she should have rockets, also missing which i will blame on the great house move of 2011. It is what it is and to be honest thoroughly enjoyed the build.

Last edited by Martin Page on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris Walker

Post by Chris Walker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Looks pretty good to me. You're a brave man leaving off those clear light covers till after painting!

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:09 am

I thought that as I was squeezing them in, but the modelling god was on my side...

*Note to self: Fit the clear light covers before priming.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:38 am

Not much of an update but progress in the right direction. Had a bit of a session at the bench on Sunday but a lack of white paint led to and early finish. I have decided to use MRP Paints for this project as I have heard quite a few good reports so why not give it ago. I was however, cursing myself yesterday as I had no white and of course you can't mix it with any of the acrylics I have, anyhow, we live and learn. I have ordered some this morning so should be back in the game tomorrow evening. So, the Sky is down and I have to say a very smooth finish on this one, next up (when the white arrives) will be a little bleaching to compliment the slight pre-shading.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:50 am

What a difference a day makes... Finished work a little early yesterday and what with the weather being so rotten I managed a good few hours at the bench and seriously pushed on with the Seafire. Paint stopped play on Sunday but with a new delivery things started to progress again at a pace. Sky weathered, Extra Dark Sea Grey on and then the base white went down for the stripes, maybe a little to well as I have lost most of my pre-shading so will have to try a puff a little back in before the black. Little bit of over spray on the under side of the nose but nothing that can't be fixed. Quite happy with the progress and have to say this new MRP Paint gives a stunning finish but as I have found out you really have to shake it within a inch of it's life. Best put your mask on and turn on the extractor as it's a bit on the pungent side...

After the paint situation on Sunday I did manage a little time on the Hellcat so stay tuned, this is getting close to primer now. Just loving the painting at the minute and very much enjoying my return visit to aircraft. I still have to work harder on my re-scribing but after a few pointers from Harry things are starting to improve.