Tamiya M3 Grant - ISM - Shelf of Doom GB 2014

Wheeled or tracked
Martin Page

Re: ISM - Shelf of Doom GB 2014

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:14 am

Haven't had much time at the bench over the last couple of weeks, heavy work deadline caused a bit of a frenzy. Anyhow, deadline smashed and time to claim back the weekends, lets head to the shed... An awful lot of bits and bobs to do, I painted the base coat and shadows of the flesh tones on the tank commander, all looking a bit to orange here but once the highlights go down think he will look less sun burnt. Started to work on the stowage and put a few colours down. Mixing it up between sand tones and greens to try and add a little contrast, really don't want this to look like one big lump of stuff.

Painted the inside of the hatches on the turret interior white, looking very bright at the minute but once they get some weathering they will knock right back.

Sprayed the hull and turret with desert sand wash, will wait for this to dry and then with a cotton bud start some streaking. The plan was to flood it so we get some build up on those raised areas. Will work on his a bit more for effect and then I will start to fix the stowage before introducing the pigments and dust effects. Think this will work better once the stowage is on and hopefully simulate dust build up from traveling. For the front I have some sand bags but did have to sand and cut to get these to fit snugly but think I have it about right now.

Need to get to work with a little streaking now to break up the flat surfaces but quite happy with my progress so far. My photo's look a bit on the dark side today so will try and take some outside later if it stops raining. Should be back at the bench today at some point so hopefully will be able to post some further updates later...

Thanks for looking...

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:15 am

DECALS… Most annoying! Completely forgot about these! Bit of a set back but we'll just have to make them work, I'll have to chip them up a bit and what with the weathering I still have to do probably will get away with it. Annoyed but not the end of the world, just want to get this one done now as I am sure when I return from Telford new modelling projects will be tempting. Decals now in place and fortunately not to many. Obviously looking to bright and shinny right now but will get to work on them shortly.

Turned my attention to the stowage, like I mentioned before I have varied the shades to try and break up the big lump. Fairly simple way of doing things, base coats, dry brush highlights and then a wash to pick out the details. You could go further but think this will suffice as they will also get a dusting.

I have decided to fix the stowage with pins, think this will be a better option for both strength and of course makes the gluing very tidy. Nothing flash here just drill a few holes and superglue some fuse wire. Locate measure up and drill the receiving holes on the hull. Apply glue to the pins so this will stick to the clean plastic on the newly drilled holes on he hull. The side canvas is fix but the sand bags on the front haven't been fixed yet.

Had a bit of a break from the stowage and had a look at the ground work, still at an early stage but sprayed a few extra sand tones to give it a little depth and added a few rocks. I will have to add some pigments to this to marry up with the tones I have used on the running gear.

So, coming to the end of the day I decided to bundle everything on to see how things are looking. Next job is to finalise the stowage layout, quite happy with this configuration but also have some oil drums and petrol cans to add which I haven't painted yet. Once all the stowage is located I will start the dusting with pigments and thinners. That should be it for the M3 then so will finish the base, clear the bench and turn my attentions to the figures. Two more weekends before Telford so the plan is to get this done and dusted before then, well that's the plan right now.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:17 am

So, seems I have survived another Telford and what a trip, budgets blown but a great weekend. I went with a plan this year and although only succeeded with one buy from my list managed to find a few new things of interest, one of which may be featuring in the six wheels or more SIG but that's another story. Having to put all temptation to one side for the minute it was back to the bench and crack on with the M3 Grant. Still seems a lot to do but spent some time sorting stuff out and finally I think I can say we're on the home straight, couple more days with some figure work, detailing and we'll be done. This is how I left the bench tonight...

Stowage placement sorted.

Added a few more shades to the ground work to bring the weathering on the running gear a little more inline.

Few base coats on the figures and a little detailing on the tank commander.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:17 am

So... The M3 continues and the next job is a little figure work. Now when it comes to figures I'm no expert but have a simple technique which works for me. I wish I was better but as they say practice makes perfect but I have a long way to go. Maybe as a winter project I'm going to have a crack at a 120mm figure just to push the limits. So basically this is how it goes with the 8th Army for this build. All base colours are painted and I will leave the detailing to washes, works for me.

With the flesh I used the classic humbrol as a base coat, then went in with a wash for the shadows and picked out the highlights with the original colour, quite basic but at 1/35 enough for me. Rifle straps were made from paper as I find these easy to mold and shape to the required positions, bit of a faff but worth the effort. The next picture is a before shot.

Last edited by Martin Page on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:19 am

So here it is, done and dusted so to speak...

Cheers
Martin

Eric Sanger

Re: Tamiya M3 Grant - ISM - Shelf of Doom GB 2014

Post by Eric Sanger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:15 am

Martin
Just a little point; I believe that the interior of the hatch covers on tanks tended to be painted the same colour as the outside as they were so frequently opened up and they didn't want to spoil the camo effect; they were on German tanks.
but I'm no expert and could be wrong.
By the way I've just been looking through the ICM catalogue and they do several sets of British/ Commonwealth tank crews desert and European - well worth looking at for your next AFV project.
Eric
P.S. am I likely to get another blast from your wife for this?