Tamiya M3 Grant - ISM - Shelf of Doom GB 2014

Wheeled or tracked
Martin Page

Tamiya M3 Grant - ISM - Shelf of Doom GB 2014

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:00 am

Not sure if you all have seen this but here was my entry for the ISM Shelf of Doom GB back in 2014. I bagged a 3rd place in the competition.

Right, here we go... My entry to the "Shelf of Doom" GB is the M3 Grant Mk1 by Tamiya. Really not sure why this ended up on the shelf, may have been moving house, could have been shed build or perhaps just a loss of interest but not sure why. The kit is mostly built, very dirty and hidden in the box was a Black Dog stowage set. Not planning on a diorama but think this one will need some weathering and a simple base and if I get time maybe a figure or two. This is how it stands now...

Instructions were open here at stage nine which is the end of the assembly.

And, the stowage set...

Last edited by Martin Page on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martin Page

Re: ISM - Shelf of Doom GB 2014

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:01 am

The M3 as I left it was here, pretty much built but the tin work still in the box.

I had slapped a bit of paint on the tracks but this will get the full treatment later...

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:01 am

No time like the present and before I knew it I was pulling it about and assembly continued. Front and rear fenders attached and married up the hull to the running gear, bit of filling and with a bit of luck today some grey primer. Will have a look in the stash and see what I have in the figure department to see if we can't spice this girl up. Really nice stowage set and I have started cleaning up these but I'm going to have to go on a hunt in the stash as I seem to be missing one bit, maybe raided it for another unfinished project.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:02 am

I've had a poke around in the stash and found these figures but I'm unsure, what with all the stowage maybe tank riders are the wrong choice but we will see, once I have it made up we can have a test fit and see what pops. I have a couple of on patrol gents and the tank Commander if all else fails...

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:02 am

So what promised to be an OK day turned out to be rather dull so managed to sneak off and get a bit more done on the Grant. No big problems to mention yet and all going ahead quite smoothly. I cut and trimmed the stowage set and got that all primed up and ready for paint. These I will paint separate and fix the Grant before I get on with the weathering.

Next up I primed the Grant with an all over grey. I'm a big fan of the Halfords Grey when it comes to primer and always get a smooth and tough finish, excellent base and quick drying but best results if you leave over night. Take your time and don't flood it, one coat should do the trick.

I saw a tutorial sometime back on weathering but as of yet never used it so think this could be a great test bed for all those things I've wanted to try for awhile. This is to give a textured base for the later stages of weathering, I mixed up some dry dirt from the garden with Mr Surfacer and stippled on with a brush around the wheels, running gear and lower hull. Hopefully this will set solid and will give a good effect once I start to use the pigments, dry brushing will work a treat on this as well.

You can go as mad as you want depending on the finished effect you require but on this occasion I'm sticking to just the wheels running gear and lower hull areas.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 am

Quick look at how things are coming on, had to pop the tracks on and the turret to get a feel for it...

In my excitement on getting things going noticed I'd forgot two rather important parts so quickly rectified. Leaving the track guards off for now until I have the base colour on the running gear, tricky spot for the airbrush and mounting the tracks so until I'm done there then best left off.

So pretty good progress today, wish it was like that more often! So until the next update thanks for looking...

Cheers
Martin

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:04 am

Little bit of an update on the Grant today, some heavy pre shading, tri tone camo so thought best to hit it hard and make it all ugly. Plan is to weather this one quite heavy as she wasn't a much loved beast unlike the newer Armour.

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:04 am

Some progress yesterday so this is where we stand this morning, hope to get some more done at some point today. I have sprayed the running gear and started the weathering and I am now ready to attach the track guards now the tracks are on. The weathering is just a base coat of pigments and sealed with a matt varnish, this all looks a bit bright right now but hopefully will add some depth when I get to the dusting. Bit of an odd way round of doing things but the tracks are quite a snug fit and wanted to sort this before fixing the the guards in place, this I will mask off before I spray the main hull.

Adding pigments and fixing with a matt varnish. I used three different shades of desert sand and light dirt.

While this was all drying turned may attention to the base, I have decided not to go with the the Tank Riders although will use the commander figure with the tin hat. I have the Tamiya Eighth Army set so will use the two walking figures from that instead. Ground work wise I wanted a slight hill so started with a Foamex base and built up the incline with foam board strips. Next up I built up the contours with plaster of paris, once dry I will coat this with a 50/50 water and PVA mix and sieve various grit and then prime. Pretty basic stuff but once primed, painted and dusted hopefully the effect I am looking for.

Once this has all been completed I will fix this to a wooden base, nothing to fancy though.

So, whats the plan for today... It's looking rather foggy outside this morning so maybe duck off to the shed now and leave grass cutting till this afternoon. I also have another project on the go in the shape of a Super Stock Dodge Dart but awaiting a delivery of Bare Metal Foil so the Grant will get my full attention. I hope to get the base primed and the track guards on and primed. If all goes well I should be able to get the base camo sand colour on, think it's Tamyia XF59 but I check on that, will keep you posted on what I use. Stowage wise this will be a hand painting job with a little bit of airbrush work which I will be using the Panzer Aces Vallejo paint, really like this stuff and if you add satin varnish to the mix it really helps if your using washes to bring out the detail. Well that's the plan but will let you know how I get on...

Thanks for looking

Cheers
Martin

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:05 am

Here's a little background on the M3 Grant...

The Medium Tank M3 was an American tank used during World War II. In Britain the tank was called by two names based on the turret configuration. Tanks employing US pattern turrets were called the "General Lee", named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Variants using British pattern turrets were known as "General Grant", named after U.S. General Ulysses S. Grant.

Design commenced in July 1940, and the first M3s were operational in late 1941. The U.S. Army needed a good tank and coupled with the United Kingdom's demand for 3,650 medium tanks immediately, the Lee began production by late 1940. The design was a compromise to produce a tank as soon as possible. The M3 was well armed and armoured for the period, but due to design flaws (high silhouette, archaic sponson mounting of the main gun, riveted construction, below-average off-road performance) it was not satisfactory and was withdrawn from front line duty as soon as the M4 Sherman became available in large numbers.

I have remembered why this ended up on the shelf, my initial plan for this one was to convert it into a Canal Defence Light (CDL). This was a British "Secret Weapon" of the Second World War but never really took off. Basically they took the Grant body and mounted a powerful carbon-arc searchlight instead of the gun turret. This was intended to be used during night raids and the light would allow enemy positions to be targeted. A secondary use of the light would be to dazzle and disorient enemy troops, making it harder for them to return fire accurately. The canon on the turret in his picture is fake to disguise the true purpose of the tank. Maybe a project for another time...

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:05 am

Right..! First chance of an up date since Sunday. Good day on Sunday and pretty good progress, achieved much of what I set out to do and here are the results. I finished the ground work on the base and primed followed by a coat of light buff ready for brush grass, pigments and the odd rock, this will be applied once I have decided on the figure configuration. I will be going to Euro Militaire in Folkstone on the 20th so may well hunt out some better figures. I'm happy with my revised choice but if I see something better I may well invest. So here is the base primed up...

All the photo's so far have been taken from the bench under my lamps which in some cases seem too make the colours to bright so set up a board outside and took advantage of the sunshine. Kind of brings it back to scale, note I have now added the fenders and fixed the tracks. Totally wrong way of doing it but seems to be working a treat with this project.

Next up I masked the tracks off with a sheet of paper for a loose mask, think you'll agree this looks a bit odd, sort of a WW2 version of the Challenger II dust skirts, looks like a bad bit of Photoshop to me but it did the trick. Primed the track guards and although I don't have a photo re-applied the pre-shading to the body and then hit the whole thing with the base Desert sand first coat...