1/35 Sherman Firefly of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry

Wheeled or tracked
Martin Page

1/35 Sherman Firefly of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry

Post by Martin Page » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Right then... It's been awhile but think it's time to re-engage and start another one of these. Next up for me is another big Armour build which will include a Sherman Firefly of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry in a French Bocage scene. I've been planning this in my head for some time now and anyone who has seen my haul from Telford would have noticed it was mainly geared towards this project. Foliage of this scale is something I have never tried so it's going to be a bit of a challenge to say the least. I have sketched out an idea and although the dio will feature figures this is the basic layout I'm considering. Like the Panzer III I would like to keep the base quite tight to the model, I prefer this style of diorama personally.

So, last Sunday I pretty much cleared the bench and made a start on the Tank assembly. First up is a box and contents shot and then we make a start on the six sets of running gear...

Also picked up a load of extras at Teford including figures and the basics to build your own foliage.

Large high parts count on this kit but according to the instructions quite a few aren't used on this version.

First up, step one...

Opted to get these assembled before painting as they are quite complex and wanted it all glued up properly.

That was about it for last Sundays efforts but moving along nicely in the right direction.

Alan Blyth

Re: 1/35 Sherman Firefly of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry

Post by Alan Blyth » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Great project and nice drawing too. you did promise to show us your etchings. :D

Ian Watt

Post by Ian Watt » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:20 am

Hi Martin

Saw all those parts and sh*t a brick!
Hope to see that one too.

Regards Ian

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 am

Ha Ha... I know what you mean Ian! Dragon do like a heavy parts count on their Smart Kits, guess it is to justify the £50 plus price tag. Mind you they are awesome kits and great fun to build, I'm more scared of making the tress..!

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks Al, been awhile since I've sketched anything, bit rusty but still great fun! Was given a tip off on this stuff up for grabs on eBay, £2.99 for a handful but will add some variation to the stuff I already have. Think next I may have to invest in some Coarse Scatter...

Chris Walker

Post by Chris Walker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 pm

A bit like this one?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... brid-9037/

- but made better by the Walrus banking in the background!

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:21 pm

That's Amazing..!!!! I really hope mine turns out that good..! Maybe I should switch to a Sherman DD to make the Walrus feel a little more at home...

Alan Blyth

Post by Alan Blyth » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 am

I’m getting the photobucket message on the images. Did the pics drop off overnight?

Martin Page

Post by Martin Page » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:04 am

Morning Al,
I can still see the images you posted, I didn't think you used photobucket? If your are it's probably a good idea to dump it now as this isn't going to get any better. I was a paying customer with photobucket and I have had an email saying if I don't upgrade my account will be made into a free one and I will not be able to third party share my images so I have dropped it. I am now using Image Shack but this is a couple of quid a month subscription, something I don't mind doing as I use a number of Forums. I do understand that Flickr works and a lot of folk use that now if your looking for a free alternative. I will have a look and see if I can't find any others on offer.

Eric Sanger

Post by Eric Sanger » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 am

that foliage you purchased is the old dried "sea foam"? once thought to be the be-all and end-all to tree making; it's good.
it is best to treat the 'bocage'' not as a series of trees but as dense hedgerow on top of high earth banks with the occasional tree sticking out; so dense that you can't see through it -hence the Germans successful ambush tactics and the need for cutting devices fitted to tanks; now if you fitted such a device and had it ploughing through such an obstacle that would really look the business; I think I have a picture of such in an old Shep Paine book.
if I find it I will bring it on Wednesday.