2018 Competitions

Competition news, results and discussion
Harry Bone

2018 Competitions

Post by Harry Bone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Eric, could you tell us what competitions, themed or otherwise, are happening this year?

Eric Sanger

Re: 2018 Competitions

Post by Eric Sanger » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Harry (and others)
to date:
28 March theme comp "from the book"
25 April "lucky dip" comp
27 June open comp
25 July Figure comp.
??? December open comp.
All that needs to be decided is the September theme comp. and whether or not the group build will be included as a championship scoring comp.
I intend to resign as Competitions Secretary at the AGM, not because I don't enjoy it, but because of my current job which leaves me uncertain about my attendance at meetings. apart from the record keeping, which isn't that onerous, it is a fun job - not least arguing the toss with certain modellers who always want to bend the rules to suit the latest model they are constructing. Hopefully there is a legacy of previous all inclusive comp.s which can be used again.
still things ( and minds) can change so you may get stuck with me even so

Alan Blyth

Post by Alan Blyth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:12 am

Eric
Apropos From the Book, can you adjudicate this? I’m considering a B25 from Catch 22. The film of the book has Aircraft with nose art, which I suspect is not mentioned in the book, though I will check. If not, would the film of the book get me disqualified, or banished from the ALM forever? These competitions are risky business!

Keep up the good work, as long as you can stand it....

Eric Sanger

Post by Eric Sanger » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Alan
I feel very remiss about not replying to your query re "Catch 22".
yes I will allow the B25 from the film of the book; I hope it's not too late although you would probably have had to started the project some time ago.
your models are always of a high quality and I wouldn't want to discourage you in any way.
I hope to be able to see it on Wednesday.

Alan Blyth

Post by Alan Blyth » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:47 am

Eric, I did start, ran out of puff and now find myself in Italy quaffing Prosecco and over indulging in pasta based cuisine . Purgatory. I’ll finish the B25 for some other theme. I have at least been inspecting some of Heller’s handiwork as a bombardier or so I imagine (shrapnel pockmarks on the walls of Sienna). 8-)

Eric Sanger

Post by Eric Sanger » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 am

It's a tough life innit? still, drinking Prosecco would count as purgatory for me; suggest instead some Barolo or Chianti Classico or there's always Biera Moretti.
Enjoy, I'm sure you've worked hard for it.
Look forward to seeing you back in blighty when all the snow's gone.

Alan Blyth

Post by Alan Blyth » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:00 am

Found a Bailey bridge spanning the Rubicon yesterday. Made my day. That and the Pizza and Chianti Classico.

Eric Sanger

Post by Eric Sanger » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Alan
hope you took lots of piccies. it all goes to prove you can take the man anywhere but you'll never take the modeller out of him. best of luck with any more finds.